I’ve given myself the ‘Post traumatic-Life without College Football’ cleanse over the last couple of weeks. Now I’m back, vowing to keep college football or at least BYU football alive and well through the otherwise bitter and mundane offseason. To all of you other BYU die-hards out there, I have something I’d like your feedback on. For those of you who may not know my background, I moved to Sandy Utah in 1987. It wasn’t until the end of 1988 that my friends began asking me if I was a BYU or a Utah fan. I had no idea what they were even talking about. But it was the first year in 10 tries that Utah actually beat the Cougars. So I made a resolution to watch the ’89 season unbiased and weighed in on the decision after that. The 70-31 smoking was all I needed to easily choose the mighty Cougars. I say all that to show that I was not a fan before that time. Which leads me to my question; what are your top 5 most memorable BYU games? Not most important, not best wins over Utah (although you can choose them), program-changing, or even best performances. Just most memorable wins in your mind. To show you where I’m at here’s my top 5:
5. 1980 Holiday Bowl– Mcmahon to Brown for the win after being down 20 with just over 4 minutes to go. Thank goodness for BYU Classics on BYUTV. Seriously, I still don’t think BYU is going to win when I watch the replay.
4. 1984- BYU beats Hawaii on famous goal line stand. Kyle Morrell had no business timing the leap over the Hawaii O-line on that famous goal line stand. He also had no idea it preserved the Cougars only National Championship.
3. 2001- BYU beats Utah in dramatic fashion. I was in LES for this one. Loved hearing the Utah fans Shout ‘OVERRATED’ all….night….long….But it wasn’t the go-ahead touchdown that drove the Cougar fans in to a frenzy; we knew we hadn’t stopped offenses all season. It was Jenaro Gilford’s interception that made the stadium sway back and forth for upwards of 3 minutes. Then it was even sweeter showering the stadium with tortillas while pulling out our keys for the Utah fans.
2. 2009- BYU lays wood to Sooners in Texas Stadium opener. College football can thank Coleby Clawson for blowing up Oklahoma’s season with his monster hit on Sam Bradford, virtually destroying his season. We all know what happened the rest of that season, but it brought BYU to the forefront of mid-majors competing at a high level with BCS schools. And a HUGE thanks for Max Hall keeping his promise as he pranced in to the locker room; ‘We’re gonna win! We’re gonna win!’
1. 2006- Harline is still open Utah! Has to be the best game that is permanently etched in my memory. The bitter disappointment of the previous 4 seasons of losses to the Utes just couldn’t happen for a 5 time. I was dreading going to church the next day after Utah scored that last TD. And I will admit, when Harline caught the pass heard round Provo, I shed exactly 1 tear! I talk about this game often to those who don’t know the Holy War. My son, Brady, has a book titled “The Answered Prayer” that describes that game. On the last page it opens to the recorded audio of the last play as announced by the Greg Wrubell. Brady pretty well has it memorized and can even do his own, creative version of the final play. A Cougar lifer, as it should be.